5.10.13

5 Must Have Items That Do Everything

I try to keep my cleaning supplies to a minimum. Having a different product for every type of cleaning is excessive and cumbersome. I also try to avoid chemicals when possible. I don’t like the thought of using cleaning supplies that could harm my cats or myself. And why would I use these things when I can get what I need with common, natural products?


Did you know that the skin absorbs most of what we put on it? I find it strange that it’s acceptable to use harsh chemicals on our bodies that we would never eat. If we are absorbing it anyway, what’s the difference?
When it comes to household cleaners, I feel the same. If it’s not natural, I don’t want it. Not only are a lot of these products bad for the environment but they can also be dangerous for pets and children. My cats are naturally curious. They get into everything. The last thing I want to worry about is coming home from work and finding out Batman (my cat) drank glass cleaner and poisoned himself.
I’ve discovered that you basically only need five ingredients:

Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps  

Dr. Bronner's Hemp Castille Soap, 32 oz., $15 Click to buy!
This stuff is amazing. I found Dr. Bronner’s soaps in college and have not stopped using them since. My favorite is peppermint (the original blue bottle) with lavender a close second. This stuff is organic pure-castile soap, vegan, all natural, fair trade, and has the best bottle ever. Dr. Bronner had a very… I don’t even know what word to use…unique philosophy which you can read about on all their bottles.
If you aren’t aware of Dr. Bronner’s soaps or aren’t a complete nut for this stuff yet, check out our product review on Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps. Or watch the documentary done on Dr. Bronner and his soap company. It’s currently on Netflix and is called Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soapbox.

Personal Uses:

Shampoo, body wash, face wash, massage therapy, baths, hand soap, cat baths, toothpaste

Household Uses:

Laundry detergent, furniture cleaning, floor cleaner, pest spray

Apple Cider Vinegar

Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 Gallon, $20 Click to buy!
A great detox when digested. Works to fight off diabetes, high blood pressure, and helps with weight loss. It’s great for balancing the pH of the body, inside and out as well as evening out dry, oily and combination skin.

Personal Uses:

Conditioner” hair rinse, skin toner, sunburn reducer, teeth stain remover,
Healthy drink – mix with water, cinnamon, and a bit of sweetener. Yum!

Household Uses:

Cooking, salad dressing, glass cleaner, surface cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner – let one cup stand overnight to kill germs.

 Coconut Oil

Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, $8.50 Click to buy!
The best moisturizer money can buy. I have very dry skin, hair, and scalp. I’m the only person I know who gets callouses from wearing rings.
I used to have terrible dandruff and extremely frustrating combination skin. My face would be literally peeling in one area and almost dripping oil in other areas. Sorry if that’s a vivid image, but it’s true. I hated my hair and skin and could never find a combination of products that worked for me. That is until I started using coconut oil.
Apparently, the overproduction of oil is due to the body thinking it is needed when it’s not, causing breakouts and dandruff. It’s a frightening thing to put oil on an oily face.  After I included coconut oil in my daily routine, my skin never feels tight and is much more even toned and clear.
One of my favorite things to do for my face is massage a dollop of oil onto my face, take a small towel, dampen it with hot water and hold it over my face until the towel cools. I then wipe the majority of oil off my face to encourage my pores to open, allowing the coconut oil to clean away the bad oils and exfoliate my skin.
You can get a jar at Trader Joe’s for under $10 that can last you a very long time. Make sure to get organic, virgin, and unrefined! If you can’t stand the scent of coconut, try refined oil. It’s not as pure, but the scent of coconut is much less potent.

Personal Uses:

Skin moisturizer, hair moisturizer, hair deep conditioning treatment, face wash, face lotion, lip balm

Household Uses:

Cooking! – Coconut oil is one of the best oils you can use for frying. Also great for baking.
Natural butter spread – When chilled.

Baking Soda

Personal Uses:

One of the best cleaning supplies out there and extremely affordable.
Teeth Whitener – sprinkle on toothpaste and brush as normal.
Shampoo” – dilute with water.

Household Uses:

Cooking, deodorizer – fridge, cat litter, garbage, etc.
Surface cleaner, grease removal, pot/pan stain remover, bathtub/sink cleaner
Laundry detergent – add a dash to your loads for fresher clothes.

Hydrogen Peroxide 

Hydrogen Peroxide, 16oz. $5 Click to buy!
I love this stuff! I start to panic when I’m running low.

Personal Uses:

First aid, infection fighter, toothache reducer, mouthwash– be careful! It can foam like crazy and tastes strange.

Household Uses:

Houseplant pest control, bleach alternative, glass cleaner, stain remover, mold remover
I have listed just some of the things you can do with these five amazing products. By switching to these products as your go-to cleaning supplies, you can cut back on the amount of products in your home and save your wallet, especially when purchasing in bulk. Instead of buying a new product for every cleaning need, this list will hopefully work as a guideline and starting point for you to simplify your routine and organize under your sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment