21.4.14

Phoenix 360º

Dan and I decided to enjoy the cool Arizona spring weather and take a trek up the Echo Park Canyon to the peak of Camelback mountain. I first noticed the peak when we went to a spring training game, which in its own right was a blast.

So, I saw this beautiful peak sticking out the middle of flat Scottsdale and did some research. Turns out it is possible to hike it. Oh what fun. With perfect weather we made our way there. It had been quite a while since we had hiked or enjoyed much outdoor activity at all because of the move and trying to get life organized, plus Denver.

Apparently, this place is popular. We were surrounded by people, young and (impressively) old, who also wanted to take advantage of the awesome weather.

I knew the trek would be steep, you could tell just by looking at it, but I didn't realize how hands on the hike would be. It was fun figuring out how to get to the top, but bringing my camera along was a bit annoying for the trip, but I couldn't just leave it behind so it came along, awkwardly.

The uphill hike was pretty straightforward and not overwhelmingly difficult, until the end. The last half mile was basically bouldering. Not quite, but it was steeper than I had anticipated. Fun! But exhausting.

Once we made it to the top, the view completely blew me away. It was literally a 360º of Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa, etc. Where there weren't mountains, the view went as far as the eye could see. If it weren't for the large number of people around, this would be a great spot to meditate and do some yoga.


The hike down was not as difficult, but by the time we were heading down we were hungry and out of water. Next time, I will remember to actually check out the hike beforehand to make sure we are well equipped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment