20.8.13

A Nice Surprise

Golden Gate Bridge through rear view mirror
I couldn't sleep I was so excited. I knew that in the morning two very exciting things were happening, the DOMA decision was going to be announced and I was getting on a plane for the bay area. DOMA was potentially a frightening thing (yay for SCOTUS!), but my plane ride was going to be anything but.

It was a surprise.


I hadn't seen my parents since the Hochreiter wedding in Arizona and I was missing them a lot. I wanted to come up because I had cancelled a flight in the past and needed to use the credit before I forgot about it. When I talked to my dad about it, he mentioned that I could come up for my mom's birthday. What a great idea, let's surprise her! And that's exactly what we did.

It was perfect because it worked so well. Dad 'forgot' to make her lunch and asked if she wanted to go out to eat with him. She said that sounded good and when she got there, I was standing there waiting. All I said was surprise! She had to do a double, possibly triple, take before it registered that it was me. Haha. Perfect surprise!!

She left work early and we decided to do it again with Oma. On our way over, mom called her to say she was bringing something over, so we didn't give her a heart attack (you never know). We giggled to each other as she told my mom all about her conversation with me the day before. When we got there, her jaw dropped. Double surprise!

We had a lot of fun while I was there. Went to Muir Woods, kayaking in a slough, saw local wildlife on a long bike ride, sat outside bird watching (our temporary neighbor, an Oriole), and spend some quality family time. My parents even ate mostly vegan while I was there. Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment