19.3.13

St. Patrick's

Dan's heritage escapes for a day. 

 I hope you had a nice Sunday with whatever you ended up doing. We had a grand ol' time this weekend.

We started our morning at the farmer's market to pick up our CSA box and found they have strawberries! And oh my are they juicy and delish. I bought a bunch and hopefully will be making a strawberry jam soon. I also picked up some oranges which I used to jam with when we got home. Find out more about my jam session here!



After that we eventually picked up and left to go out on our adventure!

Originally, the plan was to hit up Farm Sanctuary and then go to Golden Road Brewery, but I found that Verdugo Bar in Glendale was holding a St. Patrick's benefit for Farm Sanctuary with Southern Fried Vegan BBQ and I really wanted to do that instead of Golden Road. That was later amended to let's do Farm Sanctuary next weekend so I could make my marmalade instead. Which worked out well.

So we packed up and headed over to Eagle Rock Brewery to fill our growlers. I was thrilled that Verdugo was right near Eagle Rock, which also happens to be down the street from Golden Road. I keep telling Dan we need to move out there. It's where all the beer is! And you can actually see the mountains and hills.

Anyway, when we got to Eagle Rock we were surprised to find that they were giving away green pint glasses with a pint purchase. Um... that was an easy decision. So we enjoyed a pint in a rather stuffed taproom and found they are doing a home brew demo, which we may possibly go to. Dan hasn't home brewed in quite a while, so this might help get him back in gear.

Once we finished our pints we headed over to Verdugo, with our growlers filled and our bellies content with Eagle Rock's beer. The place itself was really a cool place. They had a patio and a chill inside. We of course went out on the patio which was decently crowded, but not packed. A great thing was that they had Aventinus on tap, which is one of our most favorite beers in the world. But the bummer was that they a Farm Sanctuary cocktail and apparently that was the only drink on the menu that was giving a donation to the sanctuary. And it was some tequila thing. Lame!! On their flier they said all house specials, and who wants to drink tequila on St. Patrick's?!

It was okay though because SFVBBQ was delish and I'm pretty sure our food order was donating. We definitely got enough food to spread the love. :]

I got the corned 'beef' hash with cabbage, which was delish delish! I haven't had corned beef hash since I was an omnivore over 9 years ago. It was totally worth the wait. I wish I knew how they made it so I could make it again. I will have to search the interwebs for a good recipe.

Dan got the BBQ and chickun sliders which were also noms. He wanted mac'n'cheeze but they had already run out. Crazy because it started at 15.30 and we got there at around 17.00. Sheeh!! We gobbled up everything on our plates and we were stuffed and happy.

Once we got home I put on some Celtic music appropriate for the day and we had a glass of whiskey. Followed that up with watching In the Name of the Father, and Dan of course fell asleep.

I would say that was a very successful day full of food, beer, and Irish drama.

Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment