29.7.13

The Joys Of Bicycling In Los Angeles

People can be jerks. You know it's true. If you've ever been stuck in traffic on the freeway, actually if you've ever been in a car ever, you can understand how people can be jerks. I think it has something to do with the fact that you aren't face to face so people feel more relaxed about their mistreatment of others, i.e. the notorious internet trolls. I believe people create/allow so much stress in their lives and don't know how to handle it that they let it to take over and run rampant. This is most easily observed when driving.

You can show people how pissed you are, knowing that they can't do anything about it. You can take out your aggression on that person closest to you and smother that person with your stress, pissing them off; adding to the cesspool of aggression and anger on the road. Feeling better now?

This, as you may have figured out, is not the best platform for letting out your aggression. Seeing how vehicles are probably the deadliest weapons you can leave home with (in some states at least).

Now, I'm a biker. Bicyclist - not to be confused with 'biker' a.k.a. motorcyclist. I use my muscles and momentum to move. Not petroleum and a heavy foot. Actually, neither Dan nor I drive to work. We do own a car, but that's only because we moved to L.A. and knew we had to have one or go stir-crazy. We will drive when we are sick or going to 'far away' places.

I ride my bike about 11 miles a day to and from work (total). So, I'm on my bike for about an hour a day. Not bad. Good alone time, great exercise.

Okay. Forewarning, the rest of this post is going to be a rant... wait. I just did that. Well, whatever. If you are a biker, you may enjoy this. If you are a driver, you may learn from this.

Now, don't look at this post like I'm constantly threatened with death. Realize that I ride my bike a lot and coming from San Francisco, I am a very aggressive biker.

The major difference between San Francisco/Oakland and Los Angeles is simple:
San Francisco = Idiot drivers that are used to bikes.
Los Angeles = Jerk drivers that HATE bikers (mostly) because there are few of them.

I don't want to lump everyone in these groups, because there are a good amount of people that are respectful to bikers and I try my damnedest to show them my appreciation when possible. But, as human nature dictates, I am focusing on the negatives. So realize that this is not my overall biking experience, but a concentrated list of driver failings.

1. Driving too close - I know you may think you are giving me enough space, but when I can feel the 'swoosh' of you passing me and know I could reach out and touch your car, it's scary. FULL USE OF THE LANE.... it's the law.

2. Cutting me off - Really? You know I'm there, you just passed me. Why the hell do you think it's okay to cut me off? I'm not a plastic car you will dent, I am a person you can run over. Thanks for nothing.

3. Honking at me - Really? Now I'm nearly deaf and can't hear that police car that is about to blow through the intersection and run me over (exaggeration). Do you really think that blaring your horn at me will make me move faster? I would like to see you climb this hill on a bike in 3rd gear... lazy jerk.

4. Exhaust - For the love of all things good in this world please smog your car. It's not only terrible for our already damned planet, but it really sucks to see the black smoke coming out of your car that I have to breathe while huffing and puffing. Love to the hybrids!

5. Car Doors - Dooring a.k.a. throwing your door open and slamming a biker, potentially knocking them into traffic. Luckily (knock on wood), this has never happened to me, but I have seen it and heard some pretty scary stories about it. Please check your mirrors before throwing your door open. Also! Don't leave it completely open please! It forces me to drive into traffic unnecessarily (which is dangerous).

6. Turn Signals - Use them. Duh.

7. Blocking the Bike Lane - If your car is stopped in the bike lane, fine. At least I know I need to move into traffic in advance. But don't pull over right in front of me with no warning or flashers and just sit there. And if you're turning, turn. Or at least make an effort to get to the far right.

8. Engine Heat - If I stop slightly in front of your car it's not because I'm going to cut you off and ride in front of you as slowly as I can. It's because your engine is blowing hot air on me if I'm next to you, and that sucks when you're exercising! So please don't roll forward so your engine is right on me again. Defeats the point.

9. Lane Stare - That awkward stare drivers give you when they're allowing you to pass. Usually accompanied by frantic hand motions. Are you scooping up your crap? Please flail more, it's funny to watch.

10. Road Quality - This is not a driver specific issue, but you need to be aware. Some roads (Venice Blvd) are terrible roads. If you can tell in your car, imagine what my bum is going through. Realize on roads like this, bikers might have to swerve onto or slightly into the road to avoid a pothole the size of your head. If you are on a bad road and see a biker; change lanes, slow down, or at least hug the left side of your lane. Remember, that pothole is the size of your head!

Remember kids. Wear your helmets. I gawk at people who don't in this crazy city.
Remember drivers. Full Use Of Lane. Bikes need it too.
Remember motorcyclists. Bikes lines are for bicycles not motorbikes. *Love ya!

Thank you for indulging me in my rant. I know driving is frustrating, but biking can be frightening. I would take the former anytime. Well, except for when it comes to biking.

Because I LOVE biking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment