9.7.13

Worldfest


When Dan and I went to the Vegan Beer and Food Festival, we came across a flier for another veg friendly event, called Worldfest. Based on the flier, I was not completely sure if it was going to be a festival geared toward everyone, vegetarians, or vegan specific. Either way, I wanted to go because it looked like another fun event with vegan vendors, and of course, beer.

We were pleasantly surprised to find that it was indeed an all vegan event and wandered around to see what was there. I was excited (and Dan nervous) that there were pet adoptions from a variety of different places. Of course we went and talked to the cats for a while, it is me after all. And of course we both fell in love with all of them. I was also surprised to find that they had two specific dog adoption groups for the types of dogs I would want once we finally have a permanent yard, Beagle and German Shepard. I really would love to get one or the other, but I refuse to purchase an animal when there are so many in need and in danger of euthanasia. Here is a list of all the vendors from the event, I only wish I could talk about all of them.

There were different tents around the festival. Some had speakers, some showed films, and there was an art tent that had some creative and stunning pieces. There were activists, adoption and rescuers, preservers and preventers, there was even food. It was a very well rounded festival.

After we said our hellos to the animals, we decided to briefly check out the booths they had. Of course PETA and the Humane Society were there, along with a bunch of fun things to look at.  We decided to relax and get a beer in the beer garden and watch the band playing. After we had our fill of music and beer, we got some fliers, a sticker for Mickey (Dan caved), and decided to head back in to the beer garden to hear the speakers that were coming up.

Saginaw Grant
Debra Wilson


All the speakers were very interesting to hear, but a few did stand out for me. I enjoyed listening to Debra Wilson's daily mantra (wow! she's fascinating) and was intrigued with her message. Dan and I both learned a lot from Saginaw Grant about how important it is to remember our Mother Earth.

Gene Baur
The highlight for me was hearing Gene Baur speak. He's the co-founder and president of Farm Sanctuary. They have a location in Acton, only an hour drive from us, and I had been begging Dan to go all year. Well, as it turned out Mr. Baur gave me the perfect excuse to finally make the commitment to go. He mentioned that Farm Sanctuary was having a "Hug an Animal" day in two weekends. All I had to do was turn to Dan. I bought our tickets right there.

So excited for Farm Sanctuary!

Once the speakers finished their talks and we felt more empowered (me) and more educated about veganism (Dan) we stuck around to hear the last band, which was really really good. They were called The Turners and were the perfect choice to end the event.

My only regret about the day was my lack of knowledge about how exciting it was going to be, so I didn't bother to try and get some of our friends on board. Guess I'll just have to go again next year. I know, I feel your pity through my computer screen. Ha.








No comments:

Post a Comment